Learn to sew two pairs of perfectly fitting trousers. This course comes with two patterns to build your skills.
Part 1 – Carrie Trousers
The Carrie Trousers are loose-fitting through the leg, slightly tapering towards the ankle. With no need for any tricky closures, they have a flattering flat-fronted, elasticated-back waistband with pretty pleats at the front. Practical and ideal for summer, the Carrie Trousers are mid-rise and feature ever useful slanted pockets at the side seams. Easy to fit, they are a great starting point for newbie trouser sewers who want to get to grips with construction.
Part 2 – Ultimate Trousers
The Ultimate Trousers are a mid-rise, slim-fitting, ankle-grazing trouser, flattering for so many figures. They are shaped at the waist with darts and close at the side seam with an invisible zip.
We know that mastering the fit of slim-fitting trousers can be daunting, so this part of the course concentrates on just that, helping to diagnose fitting issues, before showing you how to alter your pattern to make it work for your body.
Who is the class for?
The Ultimate Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers online class is aimed at trouser-sewing newbies. If you’ve made a few garments before but never sewn trousers, this is the perfect place to start. We’ll guide you through the construction, and if it’s the fit you want to master, we’ve got you covered there too.
What is included?
- downloadable PDF patterns (in both tiled and copyshop formats)
- start to finish step-by-step video tutorials taught by Lisa Comfort
- written instructions to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on fitting and alterations
- size charts, layplans, supplies list
What you learn
As well as learning how to construct two different styles of trousers, this online course focuses heavily on achieving the perfect fit. Those of you who have attempted trousers before will know that this can be a tricky business!
In the first segment of the course, we’ll be making the Carrie Trousers. You will learn:
- how to measure yourself and choose the correct size for your body
- choosing the appropriate fabric
- how to assemble your PDF pattern and cut it out
- how to prepare and cut your fabric
- how to stitch the slanted pockets
- how to create pleats
- constructing a basic no-closure pair of trousers
- the best ways to finish the raw edges of your seam allowances
- how to create an elasticated waistband
- how to hem your trousers
For the Ultimate Trousers, as well as the basic construction, we will also concentrate on getting the fit just right, as well as some alternate styling options. The construction begins with:
- stitching the darts
- how to construct the leg and crotch seams
- the best way to insert the invisible zip
- how to attach the facing
- hemming your trousers
The fitting stages include diagnosing and adjusting for the following fit issues:
- flat bottom
- full bottom
- full tummy
- full thighs
- loose crotch
- tight crotch
- thin thighs
We will also show you how to alter your pattern to suit your style. Learn to:
- add a waistband
- raise the waistline
- taper the trouser legs towards the ankle
Achieve the perfect fit and style for you!
Sizing & Fabric Requirements
Both the Carrie Trousers and Ultimate Trousers are available in UK sizes 8-20.
Choosing Fabric and Measuring Yourself
Preparing to Sew
Sewing the Carrie Trousers
Introduction to Fitting the Ultimate Trousers
The Ultimate Trousers: Fitting Surgery
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Flat Bottom
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Fuller Bottom
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Fuller Stomach
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Loose Crotch
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Tight Crotch
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Fuller Thighs
- Ultimate Trousers Fitting Guide: Thin Thighs
Styling the Ultimate Trousers
Sewing the Ultimate Trousers
Skill LevelIntermediate Level
How it works
- Once you purchase, find your class in your class library
- Watch on any device anytime.
- Find downloadable class resources in the class viewer