Learn to make your first dress! Versatile, fun and fabulous, the Grace Dress will take you from season to season in style. Both your best Christmas party outfit and the perfect summer dress all in one, learn loads of new techniques as you create your new wardrobe staple.
The Grace Dress sewing pattern has a semi-fitted, darted bodice with scooped neckline with optional cap sleeves, a gathered skirt with in-seam pockets and an invisible zip in the centre back seam. Adding the waist tie will give you a fitted silhouette – but still leaves you with the option to loosen it should you have a big dinner on the cards! There is also the option to add a pretty cap sleeve.
There are loads of options to choose between with the Grace Dress pattern. Make it in one fabric or colour block it with a contrast bodice and hem band.
Sizing: UK sizes 6-20, B cup bust
Who is this class for?
Designed with beginner dressmakers in mind, from cutting your fabric to sewing the last stitch on the hem, this class will guide you through the whole process of making a dress.
What is included?
- downloadable PDF patterns (in both tiled and copyshop formats)
- start to finish step-by-step video tutorials taught by Lisa Comfort
- written instructions to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on fitting and alterations
- size charts, layplans, supplies list
What you learn
- how to measure yourself and choose the correct size for your body
- choosing the appropriate fabric for your Grace Dress
- how to assemble your PDF pattern and cut it out
- how to prepare and cut your fabric
- staystitching, darts and sewing a bodice with all-in-one facings
- how to sew and attach a cap sleeve
- the best ways to finish the raw edges of your seam allowances
- sewing in-seam pockets into a skirt
- gathering the skirt waist and attaching it to the bodice
- Lisa’s top tips for inserting an invisible zip
- how to finish a hem
- how to make a tie belt
- how to measure yourself and alter the pattern for a full bust adjustment (FBA)
- how to measure yourself and alter the pattern for a small bust adjustment (SBA)
- our tips for adjusting the pattern for a gaping neck
- how to lengthen and shorten the bodice
As part of the course a list of supplies is included in the supporting materials, including information on fabric requirements.
Choosing Fabric & Measuring Yourself
Preparing to Sew
Sewing the Grace Dress
- 1. Staystitching & Darts
- 2. Stitching & Finishing the Seams
- 3. Stitching the Facing to the Neckline
- 4. Stitching the Facing to the Armhole & Stitching the Side Seams
- 5. Stitching the Pockets
- 6. Stitching the Skirt Side Seams
- 7. Gathering the Skirt and Attaching the Bodice
- 8. Inserting an Invisible Zip
- 9. Finishing the Hem
- 10. Making the Tie Belt
- 11. FInishing Touches
Fitting the Grace Dress
Skill LevelBeginner Level
How it works
- Once you purchase, find your class in your class library
- Watch on any device anytime.
- Find downloadable class resources in the class viewer