Fancy learning to sew with knits? Intro to Sewing with Knit Fabrics is designed for those who live in and love wearing jersey tops and dresses, but don’t know where to begin when it comes to sewing them for themselves.
Intro to Sewing with Knit Fabrics includes two patterns, both designed to give you a well-rounded, all-inclusive overview on sewing with a range of different knits.
Part 1 – Emma Dress
The Emma Dress is your perfect everyday jersey dress. It features a flattering princess-seamed bodice and a pretty pleated skirt with two hem options. The sleeves are a classic 3/4 length and the dress closes with an invisible zip in the centre back seam.
Designed to be sewn in a stable, heavier-weight jersey such as ponte, with Emma you’ll learn the absolute basics of sewing with knit fabrics, as well as some surprise extras – such as inserting a zip into a stretch fabric!
Part 2 – Alice Top
With Alice you’ll take your skills up a level. A flattering v-neck top with a pretty bow-effect bust detail, Alice features individually graded cup sizes (ranging from A to D) to ensure the best fit for you. It also has 3/4 length sleeves and a fully-lined bust for a beautiful finish on the inside.
The Alice Top is designed to be sewn in lightweight knits, which have a reputation for being more difficult to sew. But with all our very best tips we’ll have you achieving beautiful results in no time!
Who is the class for?
Intro to Sewing Knit Fabrics is designed for anyone who’d like an extensive guide to getting started with jersey. We recommend that you have made a few garments using woven fabrics already, but you can be a total knit newbie.
What is included?
- downloadable PDF pattern (in both tiled and copyshop formats)
- start to finish step-by-step video tutorials taught by Lisa Comfort
- written instructions to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on fitting and alterations
- size charts, layplans, supplies list
What you learn
In this class we aim to give you a broad understanding of how to sew knit fabrics, leaving you confident to go forth on and work with any type of knit in the future. Using the Emma Dress and Alice Top patterns as the basis for the class, you’ll learn how to sew with different types of jersey, as well as lots of new construction techniques. We will go through:
- identifying the right type of fabric for your project
- calculating the amount of stretch in a fabric
- choosing the correct needle for your fabric
- measuring your body and choosing the correct size
- cutting out knit fabrics
- sewing knit fabrics on a standard sewing machine
- using an overlocker
- how to sew princess seams
- how to sew a panelled bodice
- inserting a flat sleeve
- inserting a set-in sleeve
- how to sew a zip into jersey
- how to hem knit fabrics perfectly
We also go into detail with fitting with our easy-to-use guides:
- how to make a full bust adjustment and small bust adjustment in a princess-seamed bodice
- how to grade between two sizes to get the perfect fit
- how to shorten or lengthen a bodice to suit your body
Sizing & Fabric Requirements
Both the Emma Dress and Alice Top come in UK sizes 8-20. See the sizing charts for details of fabric suggestions and requirements.
As well as fabric for both projects, you will also need:
- a 22″ inch invisible zip
- ballpoint sewing machine needles
- stay tape or clear elastic
Choosing Fabric & Measuring Yourself
Preparing to Sew
Sewing the Emma Dress
Sewing the Alice Top
How it works
- Once you purchase, find your class in your class library
- Watch on any device anytime.
- Find downloadable class resources in the class viewer