We love nothing more than introducing people to the wonderful world of sewing and since we opened eight years ago, through our London Classes & Online Classes, we have taught almost 10,000 people how to sew! Our bestselling beginner sewing class, Intro to Sewing is the perfect introduction! It used to be confined to our London classroom but now it’s available as an online class so you can learn with Lisa in your own home.
Our newly-updated Intro to Sewing course is the ultimate beginner sewing class. Even if you have never seen a sewing machine before, this course will give you the confidence to work on a whole variety of sewing projects. We will start from scratch, showing you how to thread the sewing machine, before building your skills with our three tailor-made projects. By the end of the course you will have even made your first steps into dressmaking with a super cute pair pyjama shorts.
What you learn
- Thread your sewing machine: first things first, let's get that sewing machine threaded up!
- Make a cushion cover: we start off gently by getting you familiar with the sewing machine. Learn how to thread your machine and sew in a straight line, before making a cushion cover. Decorate your cushion with self-covered buttons.
- Make a lined toiletries bag: we’ll walk you through putting in a zip and once you’re ready you’ll whip up a zipped toiletry bag, learning how to finish the seams with zig zag stitch as you go.
- Make some pyjama bottoms: in the last section of Intro to Sewing you’ll make your first foray into dressmaking with a perfect pair of pyjama shorts. You’ll learn the basics of cutting out a clothing pattern and sewing up the shorts, as well as constructing a waistband, hemming and inserting elastic.
Preparing to Sew
Skill LevelBeginner Level
How it works
- Once you purchase, find your class in your class library
- Watch on any device anytime.
- Find downloadable class resources in the class viewer