Choosing a Fabric & Measuring Yourself
Preparing to Sew
Sewing the Nina Trousers
Sewing the Cigarette Pants
Learn to sew two pairs of chic, smart, perfectly-fitting trousers in our Advanced Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers online class!
With video tutorials, illustrated step-by-step instructions and a selection of in-depth technique guides, we help you take your trouser making skills up a notch or two. At the end of the course not only will you have two fantastic pairs of completed trousers, but also the skills and confidence to go forth and try out lots of different patterns and designs.
Designed for intermediate sewers looking to build their technical skills, our Advanced Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers will introduce you to zip fly closures, welt pockets and curved waistbands – and show you how to get flawless results every time.
Our online classes have no time limit, you can come back to them time and time again, making as many pairs of trousers as you’d like!
Meet the patterns you’ll be working with in the Advanced Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers:
The Nina Trousers are a beautifully classic pair of wide-legged trousers. With their high, fitted waist they have a slight vintage feel, but made in a bold, swishy fabric they are equally on-trend and contemporary. Whether you’re working hard at the office, or relaxing on a summery city break, the Nina Trousers are versatile, fun to style and a true wardrobe workhorse.
Designed to sit on the natural waist, the Nina Trousers feature a straight waistband with a zip fly opening. The waist is shaped with pleats at the front, and double darts at the back. They have in-seam pockets and belt loops along the waistband. The legs fall from the hip for a lovely wide, floaty feel.
Inspired by the iconic wardrobe of Audrey Hepburn, the Cigarette Pants are a chic, sleek pair of trousers. Perfect for the office, they are smart and sophisticated, looking great paired with your collection of handmade blouses or breton tops.
The Cigarette Pants feature a zip fly, with a flat front and slanted pockets. Sitting on the high hip, they have a curved waistband and are fitted at the back with darts. The leg is gently tapered, finishing at the ankle for that classic Audrey look.
What will you learn?
As well as learning how to construct two different styles of trousers, this online course focuses heavily on achieving the perfect fit. Those of you who have attempted trousers before will know that this can be a tricky business!
In the first segment of the course, we’ll be making the Nina Trousers. You will learn:
- how to measure yourself and choose the correct size for your body
- choosing the appropriate fabric
- how to assemble your PDF pattern and cut it out
- how to prepare and cut your fabric
- how to stitch pleats
- how to sew darts
- how to sew a fly zip
- how to insert in-seam pockets
- how to create welt pockets (optional)
- how to attach a waistband
- the best ways to finish the raw edges of your seam allowances
- how to hand hem your trousers
We’ll then move onto the Cigarette Pants. You will learn:
- how to sew in the darts
- how to construct slanted front pockets
- how to create welt pockets (optional)
- how to sew a fly
- how to attach a curved waistband
- how to construct the leg and crotch seams
- how to hem your trousers
The fitting stages include diagnosing and adjusting for the following fit issues:
- full tummy adjustment
- full thigh adjustment
- thin thigh adjustment
- full calf adjustment
- full seat adjustment
- flat seat adjustment
- low seat adjustment
- shortening the crotch
- lengthening the crotch
- gaping at the lower back
- gaping at the waistband
Achieve the perfect fit for you!
What is included?
The Advanced Guide to Sewing & Fitting Trousers online class includes:
- the Nina Trousers and Cigarette Pants sewing patterns (in both tiled and copyshop formats)
- step-by-step video tutorials taught by Lisa Comfort
- illustrated, step-by-step written instructions to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on fitting and adjustments for both pairs of trousers
- size charts, layplans and supplies list
- glossary of terms for any tricky words you’re not sure about
Time to get started!